My True Testimony
Dear friends,
Greetings! I thank God for giving me the opportunity to share my personal testimony with you here.
I was born in Hong Kong in the 1970s. There are four children in my family, and I am the third. Because my parents were busy making a living, the four of us were cared for by domestic helpers from a young age. Since childhood, I had difficulty communicating with others, and my relationships with my family were very poor. I also had very few friends. As a result, I spent much of my childhood in loneliness and tears.
In 1990, my whole family immigrated to Canada. I was 15 years old at the time, and I looked forward to beginning a new chapter in my life after immigrating. Unfortunately, after moving to Canada, my relationship with my family became even worse. I ran away from home, dropped out of school, and even attempted suicide by taking an overdose of medication. Although I saw a psychiatrist, it did nothing to improve my emotional condition.
In 1992, I met a boyfriend. Because he was always willing to do whatever I wanted, I became very dependent on him. Two years later, we registered our marriage. But less than a year after we were married, he quietly left me and went to another province to study. I tried flying to that province to find him, hoping that he would change his mind and not abandon me. By God’s arrangement, while I was at the university where he was studying, I met a Christian who, when I asked him, happened to know one of my husband’s friends.
Through him, I was able to find my husband… But he took me back to the airport. At the airport, I knelt on the ground and desperately begged him to stay, but he called security and had me removed. With no other choice, I returned to Vancouver. After I got home, I lay in bed crying every day. Then, one evening, I began thinking about suicide again. My only wish was to say “goodbye” to my husband before I died, so I asked that Christian friend to help me contact him.
When the Christian friend heard that I was planning to take my own life, he immediately called a friend of his in Vancouver and asked him to come and stop me. Thank God! His friend arrived in time and saved my life. Later, that Christian friend arranged for another friend in Vancouver to come and care for me. She was also a very loving Christian. She often visited me, took me to church, and introduced me to a counselor at a counseling centre. The counselor turned out to be the wife of a pastor. She showed me great concern and compassion. Even though I could not afford the counseling fees, she did not mind at all.
Whenever I met with her, instead of counseling me using psychological methods, she would read the Bible and pray with me. Each time, I received comfort and help and was able to regain my strength. I deeply remember the passage of Scripture that brought me the greatest comfort, “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4:
In 1994, the pastor’s wife took me to an evangelistic meeting. During the meeting, God used the speaker, through Psalm 8:4–5: “What is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You care for him? You have made him a little lower than the angels and crowned him with glory and honor.” and John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
Through these verses, I came to understand the precious salvation that God offers. That evening, I was deeply moved because I had never imagined that God could love someone like me and allow me to receive salvation freely. As Romans 10:9 says: “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”
Therefore, when the speaker gave an invitation for people to accept the Lord, I made a decision to believe in Jesus with tears in my eyes. At the moment I accepted the Lord Jesus, my heart was filled with a peace, joy, and hope that I had never experienced before.
In the past, I thought that God was high above us and indifferent to human suffering. But I had misunderstood Him! More than two thousand years ago, God came into this world as a man, experienced the suffering of humanity, and was nailed to the cross for our sins.
I also used to think that Jesus Christ did not experience pain when He was crucified. But the Bible clearly tells us: “Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows… the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:4–5)
Jesus Christ truly bore our suffering!
Because of God’s sacrificial love, my relationship with my family was greatly restored. My entire outlook on life and my values were also changed.
In 2010, my mother was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. At first, she was very sad and afraid. But after accepting the salvation of the Lord Jesus and knowing that the Lord was her shepherd, her fear disappeared. Her heart was filled with peace and hope. She even comforted us by saying, “I’m just taking the early-morning bus and leaving first.”
She knew that after she passed away, she would return to her heavenly home. In 2011, my mother went home to be with the Lord. Although I was saddened because I could not bear to part with her, I firmly believe that one day we will be reunited in heaven.
God’s love has caused me to no longer live in loneliness and despair. He has also filled my heart with satisfaction and joy. One day, I will be with the Lord in heaven and enjoy His lovingkindness forever.
May you also quickly accept Jesus Christ, the Savior who loves you, and receive the hope and joy of eternal life!
